Thursday, April 2, 2009

If you haven't read this book and you're reading this blog...what gives?


I have dreamt for a long time of writing a book that makes nature fun. A collection of activities that parents and children can do together, a way to explore the natural world while having a good time and maybe learning a thing or two while you're at it.
So I read a lot of "nature activity" books, and I gotta say, I get a little tired of the foo-foo watch-a-leaf fall, touch-a-tree kind of stuff.
I want the good stuff.
I want the get dirty stuff. The stuff that is flashy and makes me look really cool to my kids, and more importantly, to their friends.
But someone has already beaten me to it, and he did it very well.
This book is a staple of my library, something I leave on my desk rather than piled up in the bookshelf. I read it every year, each time filing another activity into my repertoire, ready to pull out at a moment's notice.
If you haven't read this, go get it today.
If you have read this, then you totally understand where I'm coming from.
Here's the Amazon link for "Talking to Fireflies, Shrinking the Moon" by Ed Duensing.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Karrie! Love the blog and look forward to reading more (okay...maybe not about dead fawns...that makes me want to cry).

    Thanks for the book rec...but I still think you should put yourself out there and write your own as well...there is always room on the market for one more and from what I have seen of your writing style I have no doubt it will be fantastic and quite enjoyable.

    I say Go For It!

    ReplyDelete