Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Wilderness Walk is a Birthday Present Indeed

Every year for my birthday and for mother's day I have only one simple request.
A hike.
This year's birthday is no different, but because the forecast is calling for rain on the actual day, the children and I took an early adventure. They were happy to get woken up with the mention of a breakfast stop at the donut shop (Michael's Bakery-- dangerously delicious) and before I knew it they were waiting in their boots in the car. The presents were starting already.
A drive down to The Wilderness Center was filled with singing my favorite songs, and upon arrival we even got our favorite parking spot, which isn't anything special but somehow we find peace in routine.
We grabbed the 'trees' Family Pack from the shelf and headed out on the Wilderness Walk, a 1.75 mile trek that was a piece of cake for the older children, but an impressive task for the 19 month old who hopped along most of the way. The Family Pack supplied ID materials as well as a lovely storybook about trees, so when we reached the pond that had pretty much dried up in the summer heat, a perfectly placed bench was waiting for us.
Fruit snacks, water bottles, story book, and surrounded by three kids and one thousand mosquitoes, my present didn't need to be wrapped at all.
It preferred the fresh air.
Along the way, the smallest one who is quickly earning the nickname of "rocks" must have stopped every 20 feet to pick up another small rock. Bless her, she thought she was sticking them in her pocket, but instead fed them all through a loop in her brother's hand-me-down cargo shorts.
I took a pebble myself, for her collection, and to remember the wonderful way I celebrated my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment