Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Toad condos for rent. cheap.


I kind of feel a column coming out of this, but let me just say that as much as I love wildlife, wildlife doesn't really like me. I've got a long history of bad run-ins with critters, from dead bunnies to chickens to otters etc.

So it puzzles me greatly that I should work extra hard to get critters in my yard. It seems this year I am outdoing myself with the backyard wildlife landscaping, attempting to attract all sorts of fauna that essentially I don't like.

It's taken me a long time to come to terms with this, but I'm finally ready to admit it.

I only like to LOOK at animals. Touching is not something I'm good at, and if I never have to hold another snake or frog, I'll be all the more happier.

But still, my most recent backyard addition is a series of small toad houses that the kids and I made. Very fun for them, cute outcome, and as if there aren't enough toads in the yard, here I am putting up free housing and water.

I suppose I can consider it paying back the toad Gods of the animal kingdom, because I know I have caused my fair share of toad deaths.

Not that I'm keeping a count, but I know that there's already one dead one in the door jamb in the garage. And once they get super crazy this summer, we'll loses at least a couple to the final leap down the basment steps. (These are known as Kamikaze toads.) And finally, knowing that the lawn practically moves at certain times in the summer because I see it up close when I'm mowing, a few [hundred thousand?] must go to that big dirt hole in the sky once those blades start spinning.

And apparently the circle of life for toads also includes a stop over at the McAllister condos. For free.


MAKE YOUR OWN! I posted my own here. Thanks for clicking!

1 comment:

  1. otters? in ohio? river otters? i hear those are nasty and smelly.

    ReplyDelete