Sunday, May 31, 2009

Let the week begin- sunflower house update

We are now officially on summer break. No more getting up early to pack lunches, unless of course we're off on an adventure day and I'm not feeling in the mood for a swing through french fry feast. I'm hoping that my kids learn, the EASY way, that peanut butter tastes 5,000 times better in the woods. Because it does.
This weekend we planted our sunflower house that I am so bound and determine to have succeed. We started many, many seeds and after the irritating cardinal who knocked itself senseless on our kitchen window got through with them, we had about 100 seedlings. And after much digging, they are all happily planted in the ground.
I'm really hoping that our neighbors tremendous landscaping is more attractive to the deer and rabbits that frequent our neighborhood than my puny, yet oh so tender, plants. Sharon Lovejoy, author of Sunflower Houses and a very nice person I've come to learn via email, suggested to me (on this blog, actually!) to use talcum powder to keep the rabbits at bay. So this evening I packed up the kids and went off to purchase some only to find that our regular store doesn't carry anything called "talcum powder." We settled for baby powder whose main and only ingredient besides fragrance, is talc. Sounded good enough to me.
After a sprinkling of baby freshness, I checked the tiny fence and wished my seedlings goodnight.
Tomorrow, fertilizer. If they survive the critters of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment