Friday, May 1, 2009

Backyard morels, 2009

I really should be making this public knowledge, but we've got morels in the backyard.
I didn't know it when we bought this lot, but had I seen them I would have paid them on the spot in cash for the land.

In the past, I have frozen the morels I didn't eat, but this year I was going to dry them and present them to my dad as a late birthday gift. I get my love of fungus from him. So every day I have been walking the one acre property in search of the little golden goodies, cup in one hand, baby in the other, hoping to strike the mother lode.

But day after day, I'm striking out, instead.

I don't know if this year isn't great for our morel crop, or if there is some other reason why our yield is so low, but I'm pretty bummed.

But behind every low yeild mushroom crop is a silver lining, right? While out looking for these little guys, my little kids have become quite fond of tracking the growth of the spring wildflowers in the woods. They're all about jack in the pulpits.

More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment